Saturday, May 01, 2004

Well, in four and a half hours and a lot of back and forth, I managed to get my lawn mowed today. Oh well, I guess it's true. The first cut is the deepest. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Anyway, I want to know why instructions have to be written (and I use that term loosely) in a fashion that not only guarantees that no one will read them, but if someone does happen to try, they won't understand them. They are trying to shrink them to smaller sizes and the other day I put something together that only had pictures and it looked as though my directions were photocopied from the original.
I had a professional writing professor in college who decided that my approach to the mousetrap instructions that we were supposed to create didn't serve any useful function and I was told to stick to the status quo. If the status quo isn't working, shouldn't it be changed? I'm beginning to feel as though I'm the only sane person on the planet.
Anyway, time to work on some other projects around the house that will invariably require me to read some sort of instructions.

No comments: