Friday, May 07, 2004

Well, I got the list up and heard about it almost immediately. In the comments section, you'll notice I missed the Hooters which now seems like a pretty obvious choice. I also got questions as to why I started with the Bunny Hop. That's so easy to answer. Ray Anthony used to be Ray Antonini and he was from my hometown. Now, he's not like a local celebrity. I doubt you'd find anyone in the town under the age of 50 that a.) knew he was from the town or b.) knew who he was period. But, useless knowledge is the plague of my circle of friends and that's just my little nugget for today.
I watched the series finale. I came close to tears, but didn't actually cry. The last show is hard. The publicity was overwhelming and they were already under fire for spending most of the 10th season showing "viewer favorites". However, I think they managed to put together a good show. Nowadays 50 million is a pretty good crowd. Although it all depends on where you look. I've heard numbers from 45-55. But, who cares. It's over and the hype will continue for the majority of the summer while they release the last episode on DVD a mere 5 days after the showing. And season 7 is still doing well in the markets soon to be followed by Season 8 and in September, "Joey"
Why waste all this space on a sitcom? Because over the course of 10 years of watching the show it was the closest thing to the type of writing that I wanted to see more of on TV. Tom mentioned seeing the movie Oscar on my recommendation. I saw it purely by accident and now watch it anytime I happen to catch it on cable. Over the course of the hour and a half of the movie, it has some of the best jokes and subtle writing. Other examples that leap out in my memory are M*A*S*H (the TV series) and Radioland Murders.
Seinfeld was supposed to be a show about nothing and that sounds like the purest concept and I thought for sure I would love it. Anyone who knows me knows what's coming next. I can't stand Seinfeld. Each and every one of the characters annoyed me by being vapid, shallow, and completely lacking in any intelligence whatsoever. Okay, the show was supposed to be like that, but that didn't mean that the writing had to follow suit. Even the Dukes of Hazzard, which is supposed to be a backwoods, small town, hick show had smarter writing than Seinfeld. That's one of the reasons why movies made out of books or remakes of old songs, movies, or TV shows also have to pass a close scrutiny for me. I've been called a purist and our California (soon to be Michigan) readership says that nobody hates stars like I do. And both crowds are probably right. I came out of the first and second Harry Potter movies saying words that the children around me weren't supposed to hear. To take books that had that much hype and butcher them the way that they did is just crushing to an aspiring writer. I know that in the back of my mind on occasion I don't want to have a popular piece of fiction on the market because there's a chance it might get hacked to pieces. Alright, enough rambling for tonight. The cable people are visiting yet again tomorrow which is a story that I don't even want to get into right now. Maybe I'll be reminded of it later on.
Now, I've seen this on both Craig and Diane's blogs. It's a question and answer session. Craig uses three questions. Diane uses five questions. I'll be average and use four. So, ask any four questions in the comments section and I'll be sure to answer as quickly as possible.

No comments: