Thursday, December 09, 2004

Wow, no comments for a long time and then wham! I don't know why you would worry about seeing Valentine's stuff. They put that away last week. I started Easter shopping last night. At this rate, I can be done with Christmas shopping for the decade by about mid-2007.
I've decided to attempt to alleviate my cranky mood by doing something kind.

Let this notice serve to all who read it that Susie has been officially forgiven for missing our wedding*

I also discovered that when you have two stations that are approximately the same genre, it is a) really cool when you finish a song you love on one, flip to the other and get to hear it again. b) really sucks when you find a song you can't stand, flip to the other and there it is again.
One of the radio stations that I would turn to when I couldn't find any music is a local morning show that usually has some fairly interesting conversations going on. This morning they were talking about Mia Hamm and her retirement from the world of soccer. I, like most other soccer loving Americans, bought tickets to see the farewell game when it came through Pittsburgh. Mia, Julie, and Joy are all retiring together and I thought it would be fun to see them play live one last time. So, I bought tickets for our 12 year anniversary, we got a babysitter, and headed down to Heinz field to watch the game. Turns out, Mia had another charity event in another city and didn't even show. I wasn't thrilled. At least I got to see a victory and a dominating US team. Also got some decent pictures from where I was sitting.
Anyway, after the morning radio show (yes that was the start of the ramble), finished talking about Mia they proceeded to trash soccer. They called soccer the sport of the future...and that's where it will remain. Now, I wasn't the most gifted athlete (although I did win a bench award, and was right in the middle of a bench clearing brawl, broke an opponent's leg, called a ref a jackass, and got a pocketful of yellow cards), I did really enjoy my time on the soccer team. And, with the exception of men's professional soccer, I like to watch anytime I get a chance. I spent quite a few lazy Saturday afternoons watching the WUSA games on Pax for Christ's sake. Then they start talking about this moron who writes for Esquire and how he calls the somewhat popularity of soccer explainable because soccer is an outsider sport. Parents move their kids towards soccer because you can hide in the pack and not need to be singled out. What a load of crap. You get burnt as a defender (and I have been), you miss a penalty shot (and I have), you don't get enough distance on a goal kick (and I didn't) and you are pretty much in the spotlight. The same holds true for the forwards who score goals and burn defenders, etc.
Blows. Blows. Blows. And no, I will not actually pay money to listen to the radio. This from the man who listens to books on tape!
I also found out some other good news. In just under two months, I'll be sitting in my living room watching this on DVD. Well, ok...it'll be in my living room, but who knows when I'll actually get around to watching it. But at least it will be out.

*Of course, this doesn't mean that I won't still take every opportunity to make fun of her, but at least she's forgiven, right?

No comments: