Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I was watching The Life and Death of Peter Sellers semi-biopic on HBO on Sunday night. It was interesting to see Rush pull off the different portions of Sellers life convincingly. Now, considering Sellers died when I was 5...obviously most of my knowledge comes from post-death viewings. Although, I am fairly certain I saw Revenge of the Pink Panther in the theater. I will admit that I haven't seen Dr. Strangelove yet, but I'm looking to remedy that. There are quite a few movies that I somehow, missed, due to my upbringing. Although there aren't any Shirley Temple or John Wayne movies on that list, that's for sure.
Anyway, I was also reading the review of the Sellers pic in EW and I agree with the sum up at the end of the article by Gillian Flynn. "For Sellers the perfectionist to be played so flawlessly, what satisfaction. For Sellers the cipher to be so specifically, indelibly detailed, what horror." Through various articles that I've read about Sellers and my own little knowledge base, I think that's a fairly accurate sum-up. I guess I'm kind of drawn to the whole genius in torment genre.
Terri's holiday party went well. We ended up getting a room and Gage spent his first night in a hotel. Once he finally went to sleep, he didn't seem to care. And he loved the big king size bed, even though he's still not mobile enough to get the hang of rolling over. One day.
This Friday is my old office's holiday party. In talking with Craig, the office atmosphere is pretty much the same as it normally is around holiday time. They like the idea, then they don't like the idea, then some do and some don't, etc. Although I did find out this year that no supervisor from my old side of the office will be there. Mostly because they fired one and the other has some sort of conflict. He doesn't socialize within the office much anyway. Unless you pretend to be interested in one of his stories...then you lose about a half-hour of your day. I guess I'd be the same way with the abject lack of responsibility for most things. That's the beauty of academia, it runs pretty much the same as the government. Always pushing for results, rarely changing anything, and in the end...status quo.
Oh well, I guess that's enough for today. Unless anyone happens to see the Spongebob Squarepants Grill Set or the Darth Vader voice changing mask. Let me know as these are apparently the "it" toys this year.

No comments: