Monday, March 13, 2006

There's a gentlemen at our church who is blind. He has a seeing eye dog and is really a nice guy. His girlfriend is also blind. She lives out of town and only comes in every once in a while. She was in this Sunday and halfway through the service, one of the gentlemen in the choir led her to the front of the church where they had a music stand set up near a microphone. She proceeded to sing a solo while reading the music (in braille) off the music stand. I know how difficult it is to read music for a sighted person. I can't imagine being nervous in front of a bunch of people that you don't know very well, can't even see, and then singing what turned out to be an incredible solo. It was impressive.
This was a sad piece of news that I just came across. Tomarken was from Olean New York. For those of you that know myself and my wife, you'll recognize Olean as the small town where we had our wedding reception. It was a bizarre little coincedence that I just happened to be watching old reruns of Press Your Luck one day when Tomarken announced where he was from. I think people need to stop flying their own planes and pay the exorbitant prices of the airlines.

No comments: