Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I completely forgot about watching the Oscars. Of the 24 awards given during the telecast, I predicted 14 correctly which isn't too bad for me considering I had only seen 1 nominated movie, I think. I was surprised on 4 more since I always pick who will win, who should win, and then note who did win. So, technically I called 18 correctly, I just didn't trust my judgement to align with the academy's.
Jon Stewart was ok, not great, but not horrible. The audience seemed very bored throughout the whole thing. I think they were trying to figure out how to get out of paying the taxes on the $100,000+ gift bags.
I did read an article on ESPN this article actually. I love the part about Jack.

Part of me still thinks Jack Nicholson saw "Brokeback Mountain" on the winner card, took a deep breath, said to himself "Screw it, I hated that movie," called an audible and said, "And the Oscar goes to ... Crash!"

I know that there are safeguards against that, but seriously, who's going to tangle with Jack?
In Dek's vein of bizarre hometown news stories... this one certainly ranks up there. The top speed reached in the car chase...45 mph.
I was saddened and a little shocked to see that Dana Reeve passed away yesterday. Saddened because after all her ceaseless efforts on behalf of her husband and for the foundation, she probably did not react to her illness the way she should have. I was shocked because when she performed live in January at Madison Square Garden on Mark Messier night, she looked and seemed perfectly healthy. Less than 2 months later she's gone. In addition to her legacy, she also leaves behind a teenage son. I hope he finds the strength to move past all of the misery that he has heaped upon him right now.
And to not end on a down note, this article was causing spirited debate. I think someone needs to clarify the rules. Does the day carry over like a vacation day if you can't use it during the year? Is notification required in advance? So many questions.

No comments: