Thursday, March 30, 2006

Lots of stuff to be done around the house and no motivation to do it. I do have to get some bills paid. The credit card companies, car people, landlord, etc. seem to get cranky when you don't get them the money on time.
We were having a discussion at work about how your "favorites" are influenced by when and where you heard them. One person at work didn't know who Corey Haim was. Just flat out didn't know. Lost Boys, Lucas, License to Drive, Silver Bullet, Dream a Little Dream, not one rung a bell. The funny thing was, every guy's Corey/Corey movie ended up being Blown Away. Why? Nicole Eggert. It's the age range. Have someone watch that movie now and you'll get blank stares and probably some popcorn thrown at you for subjecting them to crap. Back then it was a big deal to teenagers. Hell, we even endured Scott Baio in order to watch Nicole Eggert.
Nowadays the novelty has worn off and most likely been replaced in the form of Jessica Alba or Keira Knightley.
One of my favorite movies that I listed was Young Guns. Not exactly a cinematic masterpiece, certainly not the high-brow choice that most people would jump at. But, at the point in my life when I saw it, it was the perfect set-up for that movie. So, it ranks as one of my favorites.
I'm not really going anywhere with this except to kind of illustrate the point from My Fellow Americans. James Garner and Jack Lemmon are two ex-Presidents from different parties that end up on the lam together. They talk about their common experiences in the white house. Jack Lemmon asks Garner who he was most impressed to meet during his term as President. Garner answers Nelson Mandela. Lemmon laughs and says, I'm not a reporter. Garner immediately changes his answer to Ella Fitzgerald. I think it's the same for a lot of people. Sure, I'd like to answer that my favorite author is William Shakespeare or James Joyce, but in reality it's more like Stephen King.

No comments: