Monday, March 27, 2006

One of the events of this weekend that I didn't mention was the passing of Buck Owens. For more weeks that I can remember, I watched Buck Owens on Hee Haw. Back then I wasn't a huge fan of Hee Haw, but back then we had one television. And Mom and Dad usually outruled the kids when it came to which of the 3-7 channels we could get on that television.
So, once I week I watched Buck and Roy pickin' and grinnin'. Like other things of my childhood, it left an indelible impression that wasn't quite realized til later in life.
Watching the footage from the numerous tributes that they cobble together in the wake of things of this nature made me feel 7 years old again. Watching my brother squirm around on the floor, Dad half asleep in his chair, Mom with the ever present cup of tea and me on the couch glued to the television and watching Grandpa Jones, Minnie Pearl, Roy Clark, Buck Owens and a slew of country music stars that will never be duplicated.

No comments: