Friday, February 13, 2004

Today has been the longest day on record in a while. I can't even do constructive slacking. I'm clock watching which is something that I usually don't do. I'm so damn bored, I don't even have anything substantial to blog about. The Valentine's day party in the office went well, I guess. There was a ton of food and people ate from 8:30 in the morning til, well, they're still eating now. I watched them demolish almost an entire sheet cake. There isn't even enough left to cover a plate to take home.
There was also a nice argument out at the front desk area. There was a younger kid screaming about how he was disrespected. I'm trying to figure out where I missed the boat on this one. The generation below me (God, that makes me feel old) seems to feel this sense of entitlement. And, I can't for the life of me, figure out where they got that idea. I was taught that respect was something you earned through your words and actions. Martin Luther King, Jr. commanded respect because of his principles and ideals. The young kid on the street with his jeans down somewhere around his knees and boxers up to his nipples (which are pierced of course) just doesn't hold the same standard to me. And yet, King never demanded respect the way that kids do. He had earned his respect and was very humble about it.
And, even those that aren't as humble about their station in life still have a backing for their arrogance. Harrison Ford could probably walk in somewhere and pull the "Do you know who I am?" ploy that would generate his respect and get away with it. Again, same kid on the street corner, probably doesn't even know his own full name can't get away with it, but he thinks he can. Ford is probably a bad example, because once again, he's pretty unassuming about the whole fame thing. If anyone else out there has any clue about where I went wrong on this one, feel free to let me know.

No comments: