Monday, May 19, 2003

Well let's see, just a quick post on the weekend updates. Congrats to the Ducks. They swept the Minnesota Wild in the Conference Finals to enter their first Stanley Cup bid. J-S Giguere posted a goals against average of .22 allowing just one goal from Minnesota. Not too shabby, although I would have loved to have seen a shut-out sweep. On the other side of the conference though, New Jersey went up three games to one on the Ottawa Senators. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I see the Stanley Cup Finals being an East Coast (Devils) West Coast (Ducks) series. I can't bear to have New Jersey take a Stanley Cup. Hopefully the Giguere can hold them together for four more wins.
This weekend Terri and I did lots of work on Saturday in the jungle that is our front yard. All this rain certainly isn't helping our cause any.
One of the girls at work has been telling me for weeks that I should see the movie Less Than Zero. So, this weekend after the hockey game Brian did his normal trick of bolting to see other people in his limited time in Pittsburgh. Glen, Amy, Terri, and I watched some horrible "international" kid's game show and then decided that since we were being completely lame on a Saturday night we should probably at least do something slightly more normal. So we headed to Blockbuster, the girls looked around for a movie to rent and I headed for the older DVD's. Less Than Zero was in so I decided to rent it. They settled on One Hour Photo and they wanted to getAnalyze That which wasn't in. So, Glen and Amy took off to check their video store for Analyze That and we headed to pick up Rita's Italian Ice for dessert. At the Ice place, I pulled into a slot next to the only other car in the entire parking lot. I was a little crooked, but being the only other car felt rather certain that the other driver could pull out. Apparently I was wrong. This woman headed back to her car and her whole image just screamed, "I'M A SNOBBY PRETENTIOUS BITCH WHO ALWAYS GETS MY OWN WAY." She looked at her car and my car and without even attempting said, "I don't think I can pull out." Thinking I had misjudged the distance I walked around to the other side of my car and realized that you could dock a freighter in the space she had. So, I said, "Really?" Then, just to confirm my suspicions on what a bitch she was, "Do you like your car?" I looked at her point blank and said, "Go back to driving school and pass this time." I then proceeded to get in my car. I shot straight backwards and whipped around very efficiently so that I was pointing in the other direction. But, being on a hill that was slightly slick with rain and in a stick when I put it in first to go forward, my temper got the better of me and for the first time since high school I smoked a set of tires. Completely irresponsible, but the looks on the high school employees of Rita's and the snobby bitch were well worth the few dollars of tire tread I lost.
But the night gets better, or worse depending on which side of the fence you were on. When we got to Glen and Amy's I found out that their video store had also been out of Analyze That. So, what was their substitute, you might ask? Well it was this. The funniest (no, scratch that, funniest implies that there were other funny lines.) line in this entirely forgettable, predictable, hour and forty minutes of complete and utter schlock came from a bit player and might have even been an ad-lib based on the rest of the script. When Bullock, in her own graceful way, tripped over an office plant she looked up at the office boy and told him to get rid of it. He picked it up and said in a very monotone voice, "Yes ma'am, the ficas is fired." 101 minutes for that. No highlights before, none after. And apparently her voice wasn't a put on in Miss Congeniality which is just a damn shame that she always talks like that. That movie, which people say, but you liked it and it has Sandra Bullock. No, I didn't like Sandra Bullock and would have fully enjoyed the movie if almost anyone else was in the lead. That movie was made enjoyable by the secondary players, ie Caine, Bergen, and Shatner. Anyway, avoid Two Weeks Notice at all costs and you'll sleep better. Anyway, back to the whole point of this ramble which is Less Than Zero. Now, don't get me wrong the movie was very good. And, if I get a chance I'm gonna pick up the book for a read to see the stuff the movie left out. The incongruity in my mind comes in from the recommendee. I thought I had the type of movies that she watched pegged pretty well, but this one came way out of left field. This is the girl who couldn't finish Office Space because she just didn't get it. Granted, this office isn't as closely mimicked, but there are similarities. So, I guess I was pleasantly surprised by the movie and the new revelation into a co-worker's mind. Which is a step up around here since most people don't go much below a penny scratch on a lottery ticket. And, that was my weekend.

No comments: