Monday, May 12, 2003

Ah, time for some afternoon relaxation. Writing this blog has been somewhat of a catharsis for me, not that I've had any great and harrowing experience, but it's a relief to be writing something on a regular basis. No one's going to take a red pen to my blog except me and that's quite comforting. Although, I do get remarks from time to time (and I swear a comment system is coming soon) and it's nice to hear from people. Anyway, enough about that crap. The respective game 1's went well in both the East and the West. Both games ended in overtime in my favor. J-S Giguere is now less than 10 minutes away from the all-time OT shutout record. Since the regular season series between the Ducks and the Wild were all very close, there might be another overtime game in the future and all Giguere has to do is play half a period without letting the Wild score and another of Patrick Roy's records fall. Don't get me wrong, Patrick is a spectacular goaltender (much better than that scrub that plays for the Devils) but it's really nice to see someone else's name for a change. Ray asked today if not having teams like the Red Wings, Avalanche, Stars, or Flyers in the conference finals was going to help or hurt hockey. I think it can only help. It gives fans from other areas the chance to see what the playoffs are like firsthand. The fans in Anaheim, Minnesota, and Ottawa are delirious right now. They can't wait to see what happens. I'm pretty sure I heard that this was Ottawa's first trip to the conference finals and I know it's the first trip for the Wild. I'm guessing it's also the first or maybe second trip for the Ducks. So, these fans are getting their season's worth, that's for sure. Fans in Detroit, Colorado, New York, Dallas, Vancouver, and Philly are watching three teams compete in the finals that simply wanted it more. You always hear sportscasters talk about the heart of the team, well these three teams (I refuse to acknowledge New Jersey since a. They have just now met a team with talent and b. I don't like them anyway) have heart and in the west it's going to be hard to see one of them fall. Ottawa's going to make it out of the East so there's nothing to worry about there.
Enough about hockey. Let's talk Matrix. No, not the club in downtown Pittsburgh, but this whole movie thing that seems to keep everyone enthralled. Everyone that is except me. I saw part of the first one, disliked it and never bothered to go back and watch the rest, nor will I see either of the sequels. I frankly don't understand the hype. I'm extremely tired of seeing the effects rehash from the first one and am steeling myself for the deluge from the next two. Oh well, this isn't the first time I've differed from popular opinion just one of the few inexplicable times.
As for this weekend, it was mostly uneventful. I spent much of the soggy Saturday working inside the house since yardwork was out of the question. In a few days if it doesn't dry up, I'm gonna need Indiana Jones and a machete to help me navigate up my front steps. Saturday was also full of hockey which I already talked about. On Sun. Terri and I had dinner out with my parents, Grandmother and uncles. Then we presented my Grandmother with a new TV for Mother's Day and headed off to Terri's parents house. It was a typical holiday to say the least. Although, everyone, either out of reflex or for some other odd reason kept wishing Terri a Happy Mother's Day. As far as I know they are at the very least 9 months too early. Maybe they're trying to give us some not so subtle hints about grandkids or something. Who knows. I've long since given up trying to explain the rationale behind either of our families.

No comments: