Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Ok, I'll need to give you a little background information about me so that you'll understand what comes next.



I graduated with two writing degrees and promptly threw them in the closet to stumble into the dot com world. After two dot com jobs I decided that was enough. So, I thought about heading back to school to complete a trifecta of useless degrees. I ended up with a job at a University in the Accounts Payable department with the option of applying for grad school and paying staff rates for tuition. Good deal, if it ever happens. About the only thing the job I was hired for has in common with the job I do now is the fact that they are both called jobs. I was hired to pay bills for the University. About a month into that particular gig, someone found out that I had not one, but two writing degrees. And then someone else realized that the department didn't have an actual documented process manual. Fortunately, or unfortunately for me, I haven't decided yet, those two people got together and decided to create a dream come true so they sprinkled gold dust....whoops wrong train of thought. They decided that I would subsequently "volunteer" for the wonderful job of documenting each and every process, no matter how minute, within the office. I could write page after page about that, but it's not the story I want to tell today.



About two or three months ago they hired a consultant in our office to evaluate certain documents and procedures and make recommendations. After all of my "Bob" jokes..."I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob."...I found out that I was once again "volunteered" to give up my cubicle so that the consultant could sit among the common folk. I didn't mind too much. I would be away from the noise in a completely different department on a completely different floor. Then lady luck, not realizing it was me, apparently, actually favored me with something. An office, actually The Office, on our floor opened up unexpectedly. So I got to move into an office, a corner office, all by myself. It was spacious, quiet, and my own little slice of heaven. Then today happened.



Today there was a re-org in our department. I had be forewarned that I might get an office mate. Turns out, I lost my office completely. I'm back in the same cubicle where I started. Don't get me wrong, I have a window seat with a great view, but I no longer have my office. So, I'm not in the happiest of moods today.



Anyway, no good way to end the story other than the fact that I did a whopping twenty minutes worth of work today and don't really plan on adding to that. See what happens when you take away my office. Friday is coming quickly though and instead of drinking away my new roommate, I'll drink away the fact that my office was snatched from me. Ah, to buggy.



And, congrats to Glen and Amy on finding out about Cole "onoscopy" May he be the spoiled little bundle of joy that we toasted to.

No comments: