Thursday, April 17, 2003

Not too much going on today. I'm pretty upset that I missed the overtime goal that swept the Red Wings out of the playoffs, but I fell asleep somewhere around 1 AM and they were still going. Sucks to be me I guess.
Anyway, this isn't a hockey blog, although around the playoffs it certainly feels like it. Especially since the Penguins aren't in the running this year. I don't have a clear team to root for, just ones to root against; like Philly (sorry Matt). So, enough with hockey for now. I'll just periodically throw my 2 cents in as certain series wind up.

I got an interesting e-mail from a good friend in Connecticut today. I won't hold the fact that he lives in Conn. against him any more than I do the fact that he's a Flyers fan. If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about the Matt that I've apologized to several times throughout the course of my ramblings. Matt opened the can of whoop ass by sending an e-mail detailing the sampling of an Aerosmith song by Eminem. Since I've been referred to as a purist in the respect that I can't stand to see anything re-made especially if it's ruined in the process (Charlie's Angels, Oceans 11, Madonna's American Pie, etc.) I immediately joined the rant. Midway through I realized that I'm turning into Dana Carvey's grumpy old man..."That's the way it was and we liked it." Twice in the past month alone I've found myself reverting to phrases such as; when I was in this organization, and the way we did things when. Christ, I might as well be telling people I walked uphill both ways to school in the driving snow with only one shoe that I had to share with my twelve siblings. Really, at 28 am I turning into my parents? (Not that that's a bad thing Mom and Dad, I'm just not ready for it) I limp around on two knees that barely support me wondering where the youth I used to experience has gone. And as more and more things such as this Eminem song creep up, I spiral further and further down the geriatric aisle. His e-mail wrapped up with the fact that most youngsters will now think that Dream On is down by Eminem and that Paul McCartney is just that guy from Wings. As scary as that may be, it ties in with what I was bitching about yesterday. The ruination of Billy Joel's songs by that one particular reality show. And the fact that reality shows in general are ruining television. Oh, my...too much to bitch about. I think I'll just quit while I'm behind and accept the fact that my tastes are getting older and apparently so am I, though I never really accept anything that doesn't directly benefit me, so you'll probably be hearing more about this in the future.

No comments: