Friday, April 25, 2003

Damn. I went out to procure a Mother's Day gift on behalf of the family for my Grandmother and the whole time I was out with Terri I kept thinking that I was missing something. After I quick check, I realized I had my pants, but I still couldn't shake that feeling. We got home, put some stuff away, and finished watching the movie, Rat Race and went to sleep. This morning when I got into work, I found an e-mail from Mark saying that the overtime hockey games were killing him. All at once it hit me that I missed both of the opening games of the second round of the Stanley Cup.
The Ducks won their 5th straight (first against Dallas). It took them into the 5th overtime to do it. 5 overtimes and I slept through all of it without even realizing what was going on.
And, New Jersey won again. Hopefully Tampa can repeat their winning ways. I'd love to see New Jersey knocked out in the second round.
Now, even with my hockey disappoint, Today was a decent day. Not too stressful, no one really bothered me until the afternoon. Someone in the office has it in their head that just because I'm writing the instruction manual for the office, I'm a good one to teach the new people. My mom is a teacher by trade, but I lack her enthusiasm for the job. I'll train, but all things being equal, I'd rather be slacking. So, I lost a good portion of my afternoon to training. I'm still supposed to be periodically checking in on her, but seriously...how much work actually gets done at 4:00 on a Friday afternoon?
Another bright spot are all of the articles that are being generated about the Washington Capitals. They took a huge loss this year, got knocked out of the playoffs in their usual style and now the wild speculation that Ted Leonsis might not welcome back Jaromir Jagr is just wonderful. Unlike many Pittsburghers who despise Jagr simply because he left, I decided long before the exit that Jagr wasn't the player he was made out to be. He is a talented hockey player, there is no doubt about that. World class talent most definitely. However, most talented player in the world...not a chance. Not even top 5 in my opinion. So, I was happy to see him go and happy to see everyone else begin to realize what I've known for a long time. I've already prepared myself for the New York Rangers line of Alexei Kovalev, Eric Lindros, and Jaromir Jagr with Kovalev playing on his off wing so Jagr doesn't cry. And, they'll still be 5 points out of the playoffs.

No comments: