Monday, April 14, 2003

Ok, I guess I'll make a post before today wears on too much. This weekend was Carnival weekend at Carnegie Mellon which means only one thing...Buggy. We did well this year placing both 3rd in Men's and Women's races. The party even went smoothly, with no police involvement when I was there which is always a good thing. I realized that the party is most typically the same every year only the people change. This year was no different. There was a head mechanic who had every right to be drunk off his ass, a chairman who was trying to figure out how to fill the buggy void after graduation, recent alumni trying to recapture the feelings of a year or so ago and older alumni, like myself, who are beginning to wonder if perhaps they may be a little too far away from graduation to be attending functions like that. Although that didn't stop me from bartending or administering the "Bull-Moose" oath. This year, however, I did take an old friend of mine to the party. Joe had never seen buggy or been to a buggy party before. After wandering around midway and seeing the different booths that were built this year and then watching the buggies roll around the course he seemed to derive that while CMU students had a lot of fun, it took an awful lot of work to produce the fun. That might be just the explanation I was looking for to justify my college years.


I also realized, after meeting the "interim" boss in our department, that being the new guy is never easy, no matter how much experience you have. This guy looks like he's incredibly good at his job, but after the 10th or 12th employee introduction, he seemed just slightly overwhelmed. Well, more updates on that as they come along.


There are lots of good buggy pictures that I've already seen, but I decided just to post this sole link. I'm certain "someone" will be interested in it. So here you go Random alum.

No comments: