Tuesday, January 03, 2006

What a lovely win in Montreal. Way to go Penguins. It's nice that they can hang on in the four point spread game. Montreal is (or now maybe was) sitting in the last playoff spot. So for us to garner two points while giving them none is perfect. With tonight's win, we've moved out of the basement and we're now 11 points out of the last playoff spot.
Here's hoping.
So far I've managed to exercise 2 out of the 3 days this month. That's a pretty good batting average for me. And I'm 3 for 3 on this whole blogging thing.
We went to a funeral this evening for the father of one of Terri's oldest friends. It was a lot of mixed feelings. He was a pretty bitter alcoholic for a good portion of his kids' lives. It was the first time that I've been to a funeral that was held directly after the evening viewing. It was also the first time that I've been to a military themed funeral that played a pre-recorded 21 gun salute over the speaker system. In the end, whatever the feelings were, no matter how well you knew the deceased, you can't help reflect on the finality. I watch a lot of M*A*S*H reruns in the evenings as I'm winding down to go to bed. (I'm actually watching one right now.) Loretta Swit played Margaret on the show and in one of the holiday episodes, she works with Alan Alda and Mike Farrell to keep a soldier alive til the day after Christmas to spare his family. When the soldier doesn't make it, Margaret remarks "It never ceases to amaze me, one minute you're here and the next you aren't. No fanfare, no warning." And there really isn't. The ice skating rink in Germany that collapsed killed lots of children that were skating with their families. Tons of broken homes. Watching Gage walk around, hearing him talk, seeing Terri and Gage sleeping in our bed for a nap, I can't imagine losing either one of them. It's not like I'm going to get a memo on the subject. My birth certificate doesn't have an expiration.
Ok enough with the morbid. After reading DEK's blog, I'm thinking that it's a damn shame John Rocker and Barry Bonds don't play football. Think about this all star team... Ray Lewis (hopefully I got his name right), Terrell Owens, Maurice Clarett, Bonds, Rocker. It'd be a PR spin nightmare. Of course, I'm open to suggestions for the rest of the team.

No comments: