Sunday, January 22, 2006

Two more weeks of this. Tom, Dwight, Joe...really I'm happy for your happiness. I'm sure if I cared about football I'd feel some of that happiness. The problem is, they won, which means I'll spend the next two weeks trying not to offend the people that give a damn. I'm sure at some point I'll end up snapping and snarking at someone who gets just a little overexcited about it. (And, I can hear those people yelling, "Hello pot? This is kettle." over my exuberance and undying faithfulness for the boys of winter in the igloo.) To answer you, yes, I am a fan through and through. I celebrate their wins and I feel their losses. I get disgusted at stagnation and mistakes and I cheer phenomenal plays and superhuman effort. However, with their loss to the Flyers on Saturday, they've dropped nine in a row. And yet, I still have to get up and go to work. Gage still needs a father. When I went to the 2nd Stanley Cup rally in 1992, I didn't have to get up and go to work, but that's because I was in high school. I had to do things like help out my dad and clean my room. Nothing changed in my life because they win or lose and it's this perspective that I wish to impart to the "Steeler Nation." Seriously, I'm happy you're happy. Even the weather report incorporated the Steelers. It's sad to have to go into a self-imposed news coma just because I'm indifferent to football. Hell, Cyril Wecht gets indicted on 84 separate counts and he barely made the news. I had to search two different sites to find out that he did in fact hold up his end of the bargain and resign his newly held post after the indictment. Two more weeks. Then win or lose maybe I'll be able to stick my head out of the hole and see some news.

No comments: