Friday, January 21, 2005

Today has been an interesting day at work. I've managed to get absolutely nothing accomplished. I've been kind of drifting through the day just skimming from item to item, but never really finishing any one thing. It's nice to have an off-day like this every once in a while. At my old job, days like this used to stack up one on top of the other. After a couple in a row, you run out of things to slack with. Today, I've puttered around all my usual haunts and even caught up with a guy I knew in college. Turns out one of the girls I work with has known him since 4th grade. So, that killed a little time going back and forth on an e-mail string talking about people in common.
And, in a manner of speaking, I caught up with someone that I haven't talked to or thought of since high school. So, it's been an interesting day to say the least.
The AP wire had a story about a mother who was arrested for giving her 4 year old son crack. Yes, that sentence said exactly what you thought it said. Crack to a 4 year old. To calm him down no less. How does giving a drug that's listed as a stimulant calm a kid down? And with that bit of logic thrust aside, how whacked out on crack do you have to be before you decide to give it to your 4 year old kid? It's stories like that that make me sit down and start writing the inner dialogues that I'll one day have to impart to Gage as "parental wisdom". Now I have one labeled, "Don't give your own kids crack, son...it's bad mmmmkay."
Anyway, tomorrow I plan on attending a lecture at the local museum given by a favorite author of mine. Katherine Paterson will be speaking. She's a young adult book author. She wrote one of my favorite books from that period of my life. Bridge to Teribithia. Excellent book. Short, easy read, but well worth it. In fact, that could be the "B" book for Bill's Blog Book Bonanza. The "A" book, for those that missed the comment, was The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. Another very good book. Now I guess we're up to "C". Nothing immediately jumps to mind so once again I'm open to suggestions. Maybe by the end of 2005, I'll have covered the alphabet and discovered some wonderful new books along the way. I could even re-cap the alphabet for the occasional reader, if there are actually people outside of my own little group reading this blog. And, if there are, introduce yourself. I'd love the chance to visit your pages and discover new things.

No comments: