Friday, January 09, 2004

Well, let's see...where to begin. It's been a few days. I think I'll start with one of the oddest things I've seen in a while. Terri's boss dropped by to see how she was feeling (she either has bronchitis or pneumonia, but they can't take a chest x-ray due to the whole pregnancy thing). Anyway, he was hanging out for a little while and we tried out the pool table that Tom bought me for Christmas. He's a big fan of George Lopez and we don't usually watch TV on Friday nights, so we had it on for him. And, in the middle of the episode, George Lopez is relaxing on his couch wearing a Mario Lemieux hockey jersey. And it was a pretty blatant placement. There was no mistaking the team, the number, the C on the jersey, the name on the back. It was a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey featuring Mario Lemieux. And, I don't have a connection. According to the imdb, George was born in Mission Hills, California. None of the movies or shows that he was in, points to a Pittsburgh connection. If he is a big hockey fan, why not the Kings or the Sharks? Or follow a crowd favorite and go with the Detroit Red Wings. Even if it wasn't his choice (which would be odd considering he's the writer, star, and producer) why didn't the costume people choose a team near the top of the standings? Detroit, Toronto, Philly, Vancouver, Ottawa...all popular teams, colorful jerseys. If anyone has any idea why he chose the Penguins, please let me know. I'd love to see it replicated on all TV shows. Friends stars will wear a Rangers jersey every so often, but it's just a generic jersey no star, though Messier would certainly be popular, but thankfully they don't use Lindros.
Anyway, enough hockey even though I'll be seeing the Pens take on Montreal tomorrow afternoon. And, I'll get to hear O Canada again, which to me, is one of the great moments of seeing a hockey game. I hope the person singing it knows the words. Sitting down in Level A, we could see Sebastian Caron fairly well and he knew the words to both O Canada and the Star Spangled Banner. Why can't the person being featured provide us with the same courtesy.

No comments: