Thursday, September 07, 2006

It's amazing how good they can make Pittsburgh look on tv. My daily commute takes me right past Heinz Field twice a day. Yet, I watch the coverage on television (I'm watching Martina McBride, not the game, nobody panic) and I barely recognize the place. If I couldn't hear the fireworks burst outside in real time, I would claim it's being staged somehow. Oh and note to the coordinators...Pittsburgh fans boo the opposing team when they take the field/ice/whatever. I'm not proud of it and I only indulge for the Devils, Capitals, Flyers, and whatever team Jagr is on. But, you might not want to have the opposing team take the field during the procession of soldiers and the unfurling of the American Flag field graphic. Just a helpful hint so that Pittsburghers don't look even more dumber than usual. We don't need no help in that department. Especially since I'm sitting in traffic this morning and I'm staring at an electronic billboard. The first "ad" has a guy in a black and gold mask and the text says, "Tonight 8:30." Makes sense though I doubt there's anyone in town who didn't know that. Hell, coma patients had spikes of activity today. The second one is an ad for the local health system. The third one is the same guy in the black and gold mask. This time the text says, "Squish the Fish." I begin running the few teams that I can remember in my mind. Eagles, Chargers, Jets, Giants, Seahawks, Raiders...no acquatic life that I can recall. So, I figured if I turned off my CD figuring that no matter what station I'm on within three minutes I'd find out who the opponent is. Well, I had to listen to Mayor O'Connor's funeral route through the city, an update on Ben and then they announced that kick-off for the Steelers/Dolphins was 8:30 but please be seated by 8:00. I'm sure at this point the people around my car were wishing they had flak jackets. I started punching the steering wheel and screaming obscenities into the air. Why so irate you might ask? Well, just in case the explanation didn't click for you as it did for me, here's a reference. It's only necessary to read the FIRST FREAKIN' SENTENCE! That's why Pittsburgh don't need any help looking more dumber than the average bear.

No comments: