Monday, May 15, 2006

So, before I get into the weekend, I wanted to relay a Gage story. Thursday was a particularly grueling day at work. We became even more shorthanded and everyone was running at peak crisis and blaring alarm mode. So, for an entire day I could feel the tension building and tearing at my shoulders and forehead. I started for home and hit traffic so I sat bumper to bumper feeling even more shredded than normal. I got home a little later than usual and walked into the house. Dragon Tales is one of the cartoons that Gage inexplicably sits through. It was just finishing up as I walked into the house. Terri shut the television off and Gage came running over. "Dragon Tales all done, daddy." I picked him up and said, "Gage, can I have a hug? Daddy had a crappy day." He gave me a hug, looked at me and said, "Crappy day all done, daddy." Whether it was intentional or parroting, it almost brought me to tears. So, that's what carried me into the weekend.
Wow, what an interesting weekend.
On Friday I had to endure the day at work knowing that Monday I would be repeating to myself "I am alone. I am utterly alone." over and over and over and over and over.
Now, let's consider the fact that I was up until 4 am getting work done since we were getting more and more shorthanded. So, at 5:45 pm on Friday I had a nice moment of finding out that I have to work on Saturday. And no, it has nothing to do with the new promotion. In fact, the reason that I got stuck working on Saturday has to do with the fact that once upon a time I used to be a DJ, which in turn led to playing around with all sorts of high end electronics, which meant running the audio board for various events, which got me trained on the new studio equipment at work, which put me as an extra hand when they need it. Turns out they needed it at 5 am on Saturday morning.
So, went to sleep at 4 am on Friday morning, got up at 4 am on Saturday morning. Then I proceeded to spend the next 7 hours setting up and watching a live medical conference on Migraines. It was actually a lot more interesting than it sounds. So, I got home around 1 and decided to pass on the yardwork that's begging to be done. I napped through the hockey game that was on, which was a good thing since New Jersey ended up winning. Then I got up, got ready and headed out to see Randy perform with the North Hills Harmony Line Chorus. It was a great show and not something that I would have attended had I not known someone performing. Sunday we spent a quiet mother's day morning at home sans kid, who was visiting grammy and grampy. Then we headed down to see our respective mothers. So, yeah, different.
Oh and have a nice day New Jersey, don't let the door of the arena hit you in the ass on your way to the golf course.

No comments: