Friday, February 03, 2006

So, yesterday was Groundhog's Day and our company had it's annual chili cook-off. A lot of varied entries this year. There was "Ulcer in a Jar," chili made with rabbit meat, a white chili with chicken, as well as many others. Of course, there were all pretty tasty.
Today, a few people in the office were distracted making it harder to get actual work done. Which on a normal day isn't a problem, but when you're trying to ship three major projects out the door, you need the people around you to focus just a bit.
Terri had a get-together this evening, so Gage and I went out and did a little running around. And, I just have to bring this up, if only to demonstrate that I'm not alone in some of my thought processes. As I'm standing in the Toys R Us putting Gage into the cart and composing my mental list of things to look for, I hear the two managers at the Service desk begin their conversation.
Female (early 50's): "Did you hear about the ship that sank?"
Male (late 20's early 30's): "No, I haven't picked up the paper or watched the news all week. You know, at this point, I don't care who wins or loses, I just want it to be Monday."
Female: "I know what you mean. I know more about Jerome Bettis than I ever want to or care to."
...At this point, I walk over, casually interject and completely agree and then continue on my way secure in the knowledge that a lot more people are swinging to my side of things...
Today I stumbled upon a poll that has apparently been around for 17 years, but no one I talked to had ever heard about it. Anyway, Dwight mentions a few of the highlights, but the one that I wanted to point out was the one I was emailing back and forth with Tom.

"Barry Williams (Greg Brady, The Brady Bunch) 'Steelers, 42-38. They are used to the cold.'"

Now, I'm not exactly a football expert, but there's certainly been enough coverage in this area to know that Ford Field in Detroit is a dome. Tom wondered which we should explain first... the fact that Seattle is also in the North or the fact that they were playing in a dome. I chose the dome option. If he's making statements like that, Geography is going to be lost on him. I'm guessing he's good at the math and science, right Mr. President?
Another news item that managed to make it though the aluminum curtain was this. It made me a little sad. I know why they are impractical nowadays, but it's such a large part of history that just quietly went away.
I guess that's all for now. Hopefully all this snow that they're predicting will hold off a little while so I can head down to the Pens rally tomorrow.

No comments: