Wednesday, February 15, 2006

So I've been diagnosed with ADHDOCD, which basically means that I'm always switching what I'm obsessing over. Here's my latest in a long list of "What the *#@! are they thinking?"
When I buy a candy bar, I don't wait for instructions on how to peel the wrapper or consume the item. When I buy a set of batteries, I don't really think that Duracell or Energizer so tell me that I can't use them in blenders, alarm clocks, and portable cheese slicers. Mountain Dew doesn't call me on the phone and say, "Hey Jackass, use a glass."
So, why does the RIAA feel that after churning out an inferior product for years (and overcharging for it) that they can release this spew of bile and expect to get away with it?
My long term plan is to create an entirely digital library out of my vast collection. To that end, I've worked hard to keep the collections cataloged and arranged. I've looked into external hard drives for storage. I've investigated software that does similar things to dvdaf. I've picked up an imic in order to be able to translate vinyl, 8-tracks, and cassettes into mp3's so that I can enjoy my entire collection. I've watched the evolution of mp3 players (most notably ipods) go from hard drives to flash memory and expand to 60 gigs and beyond. Now, the RIAA is going to tell me that if, fuckin' if, I decide to part with anywhere from $11-$21 dollars for the newest release by Rilo Kiley, Barry Manilow, U2, or The Dead Milkmen I can't make myself a back-up copy, or pull down my favorite track to put on a drive mix, or move it over to my ipod so I can find a little motivation to exercise my fat ass, or perhaps just in case my son or wife accidentally scratches the hell out of my cd, it won't be a total loss.
If this shakes out badly, I'm writing a huge GFY to the RIAA. I may do it before hand. What the hell happened to this county? And more importantly, does the head of the RIAA quail hunt? Anyone? I'm just sayin'.

No comments: