Saturday, June 10, 2006

Well, I got the DSL all installed. Thus far, they have yet to impress me. The amount of crap that it added to my system is outweighing the speed that it added to my system. Once I go through and uninstall the "helpful" toolbar and various other extensions, then maybe I'll be happy.
I don't understand when the people in this country stopped settling for what they actually want. Why does everything have to come bundled with 45 features that you don't want? Take television. In order to get the ten or twenty channels you will watch on a regular basis, you have to pay more than you should (and in most cases, more than you want) and you get channels that you'll never stop on. Granted these ten or twenty channels vary from person to person, but imagine how much happy the television viewing public would be if they could buy channels a la carte. That won't happen since the owners, broadcasters, and cable providers would find the number of channels that they carry dramatically decrease. Right now they can claim that each channel has the same base number of subscribers since all subscribers get the that channel. I'd like to see the actual number of viewers for certain channels. Then maybe some of these superfluous channels would fade away and stop diluting the programming across the board. It's the same thing with every software package you install on your computer. I now have six toolbars attached to my internet window. They all do basically the same thing and all of them are useless for my purposes of using the internet. Finally after the verizon one attached itself and started spouting "helpful hints" at me while I was trying to accomplish actual work, I deleted all of the useless stuff. I increased my viewing size per page by about a third. Now that's helpful.
Oh well, off to take a microeconomics exam, hopefully it doesn't have the add on attached.

No comments: