Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Well let's see. In about 10 minutes the theater will dim and the trailers (5 or less by contractual obligation) will start flickering across the screen. As soon as those are finished the familiar John Williams score will start through the speakers causing an involuntary hush to fall over the crowd as the entire audience draws breath all at once only to exhale in unison and spontaneous applause as the score crescendoes into the the familiar Star Wars logo.
Can you tell I'm going to be missing the midnight showing in more ways than one? Hell, when I purchased my tickets online today, I left the web browser confirmation up til 6:30 when I logged off my computer. Even though I printed it twice and got an e-mail confirming my confirmation.
So, I need reader's input on two issues. The first is dealing with my wife and Star Wars. The second is dealing with my son and Star Wars...noting the recurring theme of this post?
First issue...As noted above, we have tickets that are confirmed and reconfirmed. Between now and the time listed on the tickets, I feel that the proper way to reconnect with the Star Wars universe and "suck up" for the show is to watch the DVD's. Starting with 4, progressing to 5, onto 6, then to 1, and finally 2. That will carry me to the theater showing of 3. At which point, the showings will begin again upon returning home in the same order 4-5-6-1-2. And, if time, babysitters, and cash permit a potential second showing of 3 to soak up the subtle points that may have been missed in the first viewing. Terri feels that if any viewings are to take place, it should be 1 and 2 then the showing of 3 home to 4, 5, and 6. So, feel free to chime in on which situation is right or wrong and what you might do.
Second issue...As many of you know my son is turning 1 at the end of the month. This means that there will have to be a decision made as to which order to view the Star Wars movies. Granted, there are only two choices. Release order or Episode order. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. So, I'd like to hear those arguments as well.
In fact the only Star Wars thing that I don't want to hear or see is any reviews, commentary, plot points, etc until 6:00 on Saturday after I've walked out of the theater...then...let me have it.

No comments: