Tuesday, July 25, 2006

In a high school of less than 500 people, not only do you know everyone, but you know about everyone. When I was a freshman, I actually attempted to fly under the radar for the first couple weeks til I figured out where I fit in. Coming from the 3 years of middle school (junior high to those who had a real school), I was in the crowd of kids who ran most everything...did all the clubs, etc. In high school, I didn't expect to be in that crowd, at least not in the first year. However, small towns breed familiarity so I was already marked in several circles.
My second week of high school, I was still learning the ropes and moving pretty quick from class to class trying to be a conscientious student. Then I ran into Armand. Literally. Books everywhere. All mine, he didn't seem to be carrying any. Not a good impression to make on a senior. So for the next two weeks, he seemed to go out of his way to make my life miserable. Apparently I made him look bad. After I zigged when I should have zagged and his trip caught my shin sending me sprawling lenghwise in the air landing in a full body bounce on the hallway floor, a few seniors made it known to him that he should back off and again for whatever reason, he did. End of association except to pass in the hallway over the course of the next 7 months or so.
So, why tell that story now? I read this article in the paper. Different paths to say the least, but I have to say that the punishment isn't enough. Not for the loss of life. Not for the fact that he was a habitual repeat offender. 17 times he was caught. How many times did he get away with it? How many lives ruined from the ripple effect? And to what end? Why?

No comments: