Saturday, July 23, 2005

Holy Crap!!!! Why can't it be October already?

Yes, I've been noticeably absent. It's due to the fact that once again I managed to finish a semester's worth of work for a class in one week. Of course, the rest of my life got put on hold, but the class is finished. I even managed to pass.
A ton of stuff has happened since the last post, but I'll probably just bore everyone to death relating it. I will say that Gage had a great time in the hotel pool and no we obviously weren't the family reunion that got hit by lightning.
One thing I read in my self-imposed hiatus was this from the imdb headlines...

"Jessica Simpson fears her new movie The Dukes Of Hazzard will flop because people see her as a singer and not a movie star. The pop sensation is one of a growing number of young stars following in the footsteps of icons like Madonna and Jennifer Lopez who want to conquer all aspects of the entertainment industry. Simpson plays sexy heroine Daisy Duke in the big screen adaptation of the cult series and desperately hopes there will be no critical backlash concerning her acting skills. She says, "I don't want people walking out of a movie thinking I was trying to act or be some movie star. I want them to think, 'That might make me like Jessica a little bit more.'"

Oh, Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. This movie is gonna flop for so many other reasons than the fact that people might look at you acting like a dumbass on the big screen and say, "Gee, isn't she just a singer?"

One other thing that I'll point out is the fact that I saw the Fantastic Four as my annual, "Let's get the hell away from my crazy family movie pick". I wasn't impressed. But for completely different reasons than the ones that Tom mentioned. I thought they moved the plot right along and they found their powers in due time. However, even the wonderfully bright casting of Michael couldn't sustain the mistake they made with her. Sorry, when the casting people ignore the characterization and underlying motivation of a character in order to find someone who's going to look incredible in the latest Victoria's Secret. I don't believe for a second that Sue Richards from the comic books and mind of Stan Lee is anything even remotely close to what was portrayed on screen. The special effects were also kind of a let down. And the "climactic" fight scene was anything but. I'm also a little curious as to how the chamber to change them back doesn't have enough power to accomplish the task without Doom, but Ben is able to remutate himself with the diminished power? And he's instantly remutated instead of the three or four days from the first time? That plothole is big enough to accomodate the driving of the truck that he smashes in the movie.
The inevitable sequel might be able to fix some of the problems but it will be a DVD rental at best. Most likely I'll just wait til Tom buys it and then borrow it off of him.

No comments: