Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Last night's hockey game was good. It's kind of ironic that getting our seats moved between the first and second periods cost us t-shirts in the third period, but I guess having the extra seat and closer view makes up for it.
After reading Conversations Before Dinner you know that even though they mean well a toddler just won't absorb everything you say. Sometimes you even suspect they might not be listening. But what of the other people in your life? Wife, husband, mother, father, co-workers, boss, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. What happens when you suspect they might not be listening? And then, what happens if it goes beyond suspecting? What if you have proof that your co-worker isn't listening? Your wife? Your parents? Your siblings? I'm not talking about forgetting some minor detail of a conversation that you had 3 years ago about what your favorite color shirt button is on an oxford button down bought after July 4th in an outlet mall on a rainy Tuesday (greyish blue, in case you forgot). I'm talking about big things. I'm talking about the fact that I'm expected to know every nuance of the 78 projects that I currently have going on. But if I send an email to someone and follow up one day later, I get a blank look. Why does the road never go both ways? Am I expecting too much?

No comments: