Thursday, August 18, 2005

Well first off I wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, cards, and flowers. Gramma was my last remaining grandparent. My maternal grandfather died in 1977. My paternal grandfather died in 1984. My maternal grandmother died in January and my paternal grandmother just died last Saturday. Within the span of 30 years, I'm grandparentless. I know all of them are in a better place and I know that they are all happy to be reunited with their families. I can't help that part of me is selfish. Part of me wants to be able to visit with them like I used to. Part of me wants them to see Gage grow up. Thankfully there's a rational part of me that realizes that this is the better way for everyone.
It came as quite a shock to arrive at my grandmother's house and find my aunts and uncles going through her possessions and making sure that everyone got what they bought for Gramma. There was no fighting, no bickering (at least not for that reason). We found things that no one even realized were still around. School pictures for my aunts and uncles, report cards, my grandmother's high school diploma. Gramma also had a dish that she used when she was a baby. They (her kids) decided that they wanted that dish to stay with the bloodline and name of the family. None of them wanted it. And with 11 great grandkids, oddly enough Gage is the only one that will carry on the family name for sure. There are girls with the family name, but it is more than likely that it will become a maiden name for them in 20-25 years. So, now a dish that may or may not be worth a nice chunk of money resides in my safe. Once we finally acquire a house, the will will not only have to be amended for the house and Gage, but now for the dish as well. Brian will love us I'm sure.
Tonight we headed to my parent's house to help them unload the truck of all the things that they brought home from Gramma's house. Once this was accomplished we made the switch of everything from my car, which we were leaving to be inspected, with my dad's truck, which we were borrowing to help Terri's sister move. Sounds like a wonderfully fun weekend, huh? Anyway, with the truck, Gage's carseat is right in between Terri and I. I had a Barry Manilow CD to listen to on the way back. We thought Gage might sleep since it was dark out, but he was way too interested in the fact that he could reach out and touch both of us and see out the front window. He was babbling right along and then the song New York City Rhythm came on. Gage started rockin' out to the music. Terri was just groaning. She couldn't believe that some of the music that Gage dances to is Johnny Cash and Barry Manilow. He is my son.

No comments: