Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Today was pretty hectic at work, but even through it all one thing remained crystal clear. I should be logging on to post this after the Penguins dropped Game 1 of the opening round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs to the Washington Capitals on their ice. I should have been relaxing in my recliner, with Gage sitting beside me watching Lemieux skate around Jeff Halpern like his left skate was stuck in the ice. I should have gotten that familiar knot in my stomach that the Pens give me every time they go down by a game or two in the first round. And, I should be listening to the west coast game, most likely Colorado against San Jose, in the background while I'm typing this...just to keep tabs on who the Penguins would meet in the final round. Instead, I left work and drove home. I made sure that Gage was doing better and his fever was still down. I went out to the shed, hauled out the lawnmower and tried to fire it up. It worked briefly so I spent the next half-hour dismantling most of the engine to see what would need replaced before it was ready to attach the jungle that is my yard. Then I spent another half-hour hacking out rose bushes and dead grape vines. I came inside and started doing some clean up stuff from work. And not one mention of hockey or the lack thereof. Shame on the greedy bastards that brought this about.
Now to the answers. Ten out of twenty. Not bad I guess.
1. Barry Manilow- No one got this...A Linda Song
2. Prince- Tom Darling Nikki
3. Britney Spears- Matt I should award double points to Matt for getting this one. I didn't think anyone would get it. It was a trick question. He is correct in the fact that this one doesn't belong here. I can't stand her.
4. R.E.M.- Susie Nightswimming is correct.
5. Billy Joel- Susie Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
6. Elton John- No one got this...Someone Saved My Life Tonight
7. Tori Amos- No one got this...Winter
8. Johnny Cash- No one got this...25 Minutes To Go
9. Frank Sinatra- No one got this...Winchester Cathedral
10. Alison Krauss- Susie This was damn close. I like a lot of her songs and rarely does a newer one win out, but Whiskey Lullaby is damn good.
11. U2- No one got this...Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
12. Aerosmith- Tom Hole In My Soul Solely for the line "Tell me how it feels to be the one who turns the knife inside of me."
13. Bon Jovi- Tom Bang a Drum
14. The Beatles- No one got this...Let It Be
15. They Might Be Giants- Tom Particle Man...and he doesn't even win the fight at the end.
16. The Dead Milkmen- Tom Stuart. In the liner notes of the album where the lyrics should be it says, "Make up your own lyrics. Stuart would." And based on the article below..."I know it's the queers. They're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay martians. I swear to God."
17. The Eagles- No one got this...Seven Bridges Road
18. Martina McBride- No one got this...Phones Are Ringing All Over Town
19. Harry Connick, Jr.- No one got this...Honestly Now (Safety's Just Danger...Out of Place)
20. Bryan Adams- Tom Do I Have To Say The Words?

There you have it. For better or worse. I'm sure I'll take flak over the choices, and to tell you the truth...I could have easily picked five songs for some, if not most, of the artists.

I'm very proud of the fact that I attended Carnegie Mellon University, but part of me really wants to send this article to Central Michigan University just to see if they have anything to say about the unauthorized and incorrect use of the acronymn CMU.

No comments: