Thursday, July 29, 2004

I think fatherhood is turning me into a wuss. I used to be able to watch or listen to pretty much anything. And, no matter how sappy or how much it was supposed to tug at your heartstrings I was like a robot. According to the "Friends" assessment of Chandler, I was dead inside. Now, much like that episode ended up, I can't stop the waterworks. And it's for stupid stuff. I was listening to my Lonestar Greatest Hits CD (bought mainly for one song like so many of my other CDs). Most of the CD is fine, then I hit Track 11. A sappy typical country ballad called, "I'm Already There." It's about a father who calls home from the road to see how the family is. And, he ends up telling his children that in answer to their normal question (when are you coming home dad) in essence he's already there. His heart never leaves them. When this song first came out, it was ok. It bordered on a story song and was good enough to leave the radio tuned in when it was on. Today, however, I find myself getting misty for no damn good reason. So, I'm already a little ticked off for my lack of emotional control. Then I hit "My Front Porch Looking In." Another piece of schmaltz that before Terri's pregnancy was just ok. It had a nice hook and I would occasionally leave it tuned in because it has some neat imagery. Today, more potential tears. Then comes the Bonus Track on the CD (never mind that the song I bought it for...their remake of "Walking in Memphis" didn't even faze me.) The bonus track is "I'm Already There", but with a twist. They have intersperced real families with messages for their spouses, parents, siblings, etc. over in Iraq and other deployment areas. The little kids saying, "Daddy please come home soon." is usually cause for a little sarcastic mockery. Not today, no. I had to take my glasses off to wipe away the moisture. Then of course, the next CD is Martina McBride's new one. "In My Daughter's Eyes," a non-release called "God's Will," and a live version of "Over the Rainbow." Over the freakin' rainbow!!!! I've heard that song yearly since I was a kid. I now, in turn, sing it to my son as one of the many songs I use when I'm calming him. I don't know what to make of it.
I am, however, happy to segue into the fact that well written/sung/acted/etc. things have so much ability to convey emotion. I don't know if there's a prouder moment in a writer's life when the audience laughs in the right place, cries when they are supposed to, and feel themselves working into a frenzy to make sure the protagonist is going to have everything turn out ok. Writer's strive for it constantly in certain movies. (Um, You had me at Hello?) Anyway, that's the job of any piece of media. Whether it's a book, tv show, movie, song, scribble on a napkin, whatever...it's supposed to evoke emotion. Even a work of non-fiction will strive to make you believe what it's telling you. To me, the worst fate that can befall a piece of media is being unemotional and bland. Take this for example. A lot of people I know raved about this movie. Halle deserved the oscar, she acted her ass off, blah, blah, blah. This movie was more boring than watching paint dry on my growing grass. This movie elicited no emotion out of me. None, zero, zilch. I didn't feel any sympathy for anyone and could care less if they made it through the movie or not. I know that Heath Ledger just randomly commiting suicide is supposed to be shocking and Halle's nude scenes erotic, but both were so boring they could be packaged for sleep aids. Considering I'm a big fan of Peter Boyle, and enjoy Billy Bob and Halle I don't know where it all went wrong. And, just to see if it was something extraneous, I watched the movie, listened to the director's commentary, AND the actor's commentary. None of it helped. The movie was crap. Beyond crap. I would say that it surpasses that clooney remake crap, but I didn't actually see it so it wouldn't be a fair judge.
Okay, I've rambled enough for today. But seriously, shouldn't it at least provoke anger at having wasted my time? Nothing. Maybe I'll talk more about the things that I have liked tomorrow. I have read some pretty good books recently so it's not all bad.

No comments: