Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Ok, where did I leave off.  Quite a while ago.  We headed up to the family reunion Friday afternoon.  Everyone loved the little boy.  He was pretty well behaved all weekend.  We headed up to Olean to get Trista (my sister-in-law) out of the house and to pick up a few things for the reunion the next day.  We left Gage with my mom and just a small bottle of milk.  As we were leaving Olean I had to call and see if Ken had won.  I could hear Gage in the background so we knew we had better head back quick.  Other than that he seemed to like the trip.  Saturday morning we went to the Zippo Swap Meet and Gage got to see the Zippo Visitor's Center and Museum for the first time.  We couldn't really find a lighter that Terri and I agreed upon so Gage didn't get a memento, just a picture in front of the American Flag made out of Zippo lighters.  Then Saturday afternoon was the reunion and he got to meet lots of new relatives.  One question that we haven't quite figured out yet (and if anyone knows for sure let me know, I've just been too lazy to look it up) is the relationship between everyone.  My first cousin Jeff and his wife Amy have a daughter named Sydney.  I thought that Sydney and I were second cousins.  But what does that make my son Gage and Sydney (who is damn cute by the way)? 
Then I got into a discussion about being removed.  Maybe I've been mislead in thinking that Sydney and I are second cousins.  Maybe she and I are first cousins once removed and she and Gage are second cousins.  Who knows?  That's why I'm asking.
Saturday night we headed into Bradford and saw Spider-Man 2.  It wasn't bad.  I've always liked the inner struggle that Peter had dealing with being the cause of his Uncle's death.  This movie had just one drawback for me.  Is there anyone left in New York who doesn't know his identity?  That being said, I liked the set-up for the next movie.  (Don't kid yourself, they'll ride this one into the ground as well.)  Michael Chabon did a pretty decent job with his part of the movie as a writer.  You can touch on his influences now and then. 
Sunday we headed back home and I ended up finding another version of Trivial Pursuit to fuel the fire.  The Book-Lover's Edition.  That ought to be fun to play.  Now, if I could just get someone that might be a challenge.
Last week itself was pretty uneventful.  I finished up both my classes for the summer.  Friday night we had dinner with Tom and then watched a DVD of Ron White.  Ron's humor falls right in line with mine most of the time.  He's very sarcastic and biting.  Most people will know him best from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour with Larry the Cable Guy, Bill Engvall, and Jeff Foxworthy. 
On Saturday I headed down to my parent's house.  My brother, father and I spent about 12 hours building a deck.  It was hot.  I am now, by actual definition, a redneck.  I also got the scare of my life when I realized that I was beginning to inherit my father's mannerisms.  People have told me on the phone that they can't tell any of us apart, which is true.  We all have the same phone voice most of the time.  But, for me to realize this, it had to be pretty blatant.  And that's frightening. 
Sunday we went to church and then did some stuff around the house til the evening.  Then we headed out with my brother and sister-in-law to Station Square.  We met my uncles at the Hard Rock for dinner and then rode the incline up Mt. Washington to look out over the city.  We got some cool photos and Gage loved looking at all the new stuff.  By the time we got back to the house Sunday it was late and time to get the little one and ourselves to bed. 
Yesterday was a fairly boring day at work, but we headed back to my parent's house to say goodbye to my brother.  They left this morning to travel back to the wonderful metropolis of Minot, ND.  Hopefully, we'll get some time to make it out there after the baby is born.  It will be interesting to be an actual Uncle. 
And today is also ranking on the boring side.  Although I did have some really cool pics of some old buggies sent my way.  Thanks, Diane.  That's about it for now I guess.  We're still trying to iron out stuff for Gage's dedication and someone I know will be 30 very soon. And he has the male pattern baldness to prove it. I wonder what's worse, going bald prematurely, or going grey early?

No comments: