Monday, June 09, 2003

This was an interesting weekend. On Friday night I ended up helping a friend of a friend move from an incredible house in Point Breeze (her parent's residence) to a studio/efficiency on the South Side. There wasn't enough room for us to turn around in this apartment, but she's going to live there for at least a year. If you had seen the house she moved out of you would cry. I asked if I could move in since she was moving out. The bulk of her wordly possessions fit in the back of the pick-up truck we were using. Since she had been to my house there were lots of jokes about the size of the truck it would take to move everything that Terri and I owned in one trip. I think it was determined to be roughly the size of Rhode Island, though you may find differing opinions depending on who you ask. Saturday we had to go buy birthday presents for Jacob. He turned 3 on Thursday which was the reason for the Pirates excursion. Then Joe came over and we set out on an odyssey to find a copy of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Well, ok, not an odyssey, but it did take us two video stores with the second being an incredible find. It was a small operation (or at least it looked so on the outside). When we got inside we were overwhelmed by the amount of things that they had to offer. So, we got that and The Big Hit. Now, I don't have the rave reviews of Valance like Joe does, but it was a good movie. I find more and more that I'm not a great big Jimmy Stewart fan. I think that's pretty un-american, but such is life. Wayne was able to save it for me. And, I learned two things. One, where the quote "This is the west, sir. When the legend becomes fact, you print the legend." actually came from. And two, why everyone associates the western use of the word "Pilgrim" with John Wayne. After we finished both movies (after many interruptions for the Ducks hockey game, Go Ducks!), it was about 1 am and Joe headed up to bed. Me and my insomnia decided to see what else was on. Wouldn't you know it, ESPN Classic was running Game 6 of the 1991 Stanley Cup Finals. At 3 am I finally headed to bed.
On Sunday, we headed out to run a bunch of errands before heading to Jacob's party, but that didn't work out so well. The video store wasn't open so we couldn't return the movies. The mall didn't have exactly what we were looking for so that trip was a bust on all fronts. The day picked up when we got to the party though. Everyone had a lot of fun and the swingset that I poured three days of my life into got lots of use. We also ended up making fun of our wedding video later on that night and watched what was supposed to be a really big storm spill about three raindrops and then taper off into a light misting.
Tonight is THE last hockey game of the season. Regardless of the outcome this is it. I don't know if anyone has actually seen this movie, but John Candy has a minor role as the announcer. And all day long his little patter about the game being for the whole ball of wax, the whole enchilada, etc. has been popping in and out of my head. Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. It just doesn't get any better than that (although the Pens being one of the teams would make it easier). However, win or lose I think J-S Giguere has proven himself the MVP of the Playoffs and deserves the Conn Smythe Trophy. Anyway, Let's Go Ducks...one last time.

No comments: