Friday, June 06, 2003

Ok, I missed the post yesterday. That's ok, very little was going on anyway. There was nothing more to rant about really. No hockey game, no more Pirate rainouts. It was just a fairly boring day in which I tried to clear some stuff off of my desk. Last night, however, was a different story. Mark and Robyn's little boy Jacob turned 3 yesterday. Happy Birthday Jacob! So, we all went to the Pirates game last night. Which, that in itself, is a big step for me not being a baseball fan and all. However, it also meant missing Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals. And, with the series being deadlocked at 2 games each, game 5 looked mighty important. So, since I had heard part of the game on the radio on Monday night, I thought that ESPN radio would also be broadcasting the game last night. So, I had Terri find my walkman and some fresh batteries and I was all set to watch the baseball game, but listen to the hockey game. I also had Brian and Tom standing by with their cell phones, sending me updates via text messaging. Thanks to both of them by the way. They did a much better job than any of the services offered online. I not only got the scores, but also personal views of the goals and mistakes. So, not to get off topic, but I found ESPN radio and listened to what I thought was the last five minutes or so of a sports call in show. Then at 8 the show came back. They weren't broadcasting the game and to make matters worse they kept giving me frequent updates of the Pirates game. (Which is to say nothing of what I saw at the game when I first got there, but more about that later.) I thought perhaps they couldn't reschedule the show or some other nonsensical reason and they would cut to the hockey game in the second period. So, nine o'clock rolled around and the sports call in show ended. And, instead of the hockey game what do I get? Inside Pirates Baseball. It was like I was in my own little personal hell. I quickly scrambled up and down the dial, but alas, no hockey game. So, thankfully the updates were keeping me well informed every step of the way. And, everyone had fun at the baseball game so it wasn't a total loss. The Pirates even managed to pull out a win. Which brings me back to the beginning of the game. Mark and I waited outside for his Uncle Rick and assorted family members to show up since we were holding the tickets. As we were walking up to the seats (letting Mark lead was a mistake, I think at one point we were actually in a different zip code) I looked down onto the field. There were several PNC Park groundskeepers watering the infield with a hose. Yes, WATERING THE INFIELD WITH A HOSE. I'm sure the dust factor is a major problem, but if they had removed the tarp from the infield on Tuesday night when we sat there for the rain/no-rain delay, it would have taken the entire game for the infield to become as wet as they made it WATERING IT WITH A HOSE ON PURPOSE. Yet another in my long list of reasons why Baseball is one of the more brainless sports.
On the heels of his reported exodus out of town, Mario became slightly surly with the press yesterday at the opening of his annual golf tournament. The Post-Gazette had this to say about it. And, I'm sure it won't be the last we hear about it. Nor should it. Yes, the economy is shitty, yes there probably is no money available, yes they are drowning in the loans of the previous two stadiums. And yet, both Jim Roddey (the county chief executive) and Tom Murphy (Mayor) said that they were committed to keeping the Penguins here. So, what to do? Well, it's about time that Pittsburgh actually stood up for some of the things it needs and admits that it overspent on some of the things that it doesn't need. Was the old convention center so decrepit that we needed a new one immediately? No, and the new one has actually had more bad press than the old one ever did. Did we need two one-sport stadiums at the same time? No, the Pirates or the Steelers could have easily stayed another season or two or three in Three Rivers Stadium thus stretching out the pain and expense. Three Rivers wasn't even fully paid off. I know, I know, it doesn't have the luxury box revenue. Hmmm, didn't stop the Steelers from selling it out and people certainly seemed to like it. Can't say I've heard the same reaction about Heinz Field. Sure, if one sport deserves a new stadium they all do. But, realistically, they don't all need it on the same day. So, you start with the ailing franchise...Pirates. PNC Park goes up and does wonderful in it's first year. The Steelers still continue to perform well in Three Rivers. The Penguins begin tentative plans for their new building. A year or two after PNC Park comes the new Igloo. A year or two after that Heinz Field. Everyone is happy, no one feels slighted and maybe, just maybe the small market teams in Pittsburgh survive another 30 or 40 years. But no, we had to have baseball only and football only stadium built at the same time, doubling the money, pressure, and wear on the patience of the taxpayers and sports fans in the city. Hockey also has been, and will probably always be the bastard step-child. I don't understand it, I certainly don't like it and I won't perpetuate it. The Penguins have hoisted championship banners up in this city twice. And they've done it in the past 15 years. Which is more than either the Pirates or the Steelers can say. The Steelers and Pirates made Pittsburgh a city of champions and the Penguins carried on, and added to the tradition. Now that they need a little help from the big brother sports teams I hear nothing. I don't hear McClatchy or Rooney standing up and backing Lemieux in his bid to get a new arena. However, when they were lobbying for their buildings the Penguins did issue the comment that all of the sports franchises in Pittsburgh needed new venues to remain viable and integral to Pittsburgh. I think it's time for Pittsburghers and the business' in this city to stand up and take some pride in the city. Bite the bullet and pay some business tax. There is absolutely no reason the city should bend over backwards to accomodate you with tax free buildings when you have plans on vacating the city as soon as the tax free status runs out. Everyone is struggling in the economy. Lord knows, I'd like a little money myself. But, if anyone out there is willing to donate money, get in touch with the Penguins front office. (412) 642-1300. Let's start a fund for the arena. Hell, I'll kick in the first $20.00

No comments: