Tuesday, June 28, 2005

One would think that after 30 years of attempting to put myself to sleep and realizing that it doesn't work til I am completely ready, that having Gage go to sleep at a scheduled time just ain't gonna work. He's been fussing and crying for about 8 minutes now and this is already the second round of bedtime. It would be nice if he would have inherited Terri's ability to be asleep approximately 30 seconds after her head hits the pillow. Occasionally she's asleep before her head hits the pillow. Gage, however, has declared war on his crib. He can sense when you walk near the damn thing. And now he's back in the living room. Round 3 will probably commence in about 20 minutes. Life is never dull.
I'm currently watching this movie. At one point Julie Andrews begins to sing. I wonder if she's finally gotten back the use of her vocal cords. That would be phenomenal. Usually the world only loses a talent like that when someone passes on. To have her still among the population but to lose her singular talent was a sad day.
My parents originally wanted to take Gage here on Friday. Since Terri is on call this weekend she has Friday off. So, I tried investigating our vacation policy at work. According to the handbook there's a six month probation period after which you receive 5 vacation days and 3 sick days. However it never really specifies when the vacation time is awarded. So, I asked my used to be manager/supervisor who now is still a small part of the group, but not really attached to us anymore so she really has no authority over me whatsoever but still knows a crapload about the company since she's been there for a long time. So, according to her the handbook is kind of correct. After the probation period you get 5 days which is half of the normal vacation time. Then on your year anniversary you get your normal two weeks of vacation. Which must make it extremely difficult to keep track of everyone's time since everyone started on different days. So, this was the illusion that I labored under while I decided whether or not I wanted to burn my last vacation day going to an amusement park. In the end I decided to take the day, but now apparently there's a split sanction, apparently according to some managers on January 1st I got a full two weeks of vacation to use by the end of 05. Which makes the probation period completely useless. So, I can spend all day Friday trying to figure out if I have 0 vacation days til the middle of November or 5 vacation days til the end of the year. Having 5 would be nice. It would give us the opportunity to have a day for my family reunion, and some to visit some good friends and have a spare day or two in case something random pops up in the next six months. Oh well, such is life. Perhaps next week I'll actually find out the correct answer to the vacation saga. And thanks again to someone that I spoke to today for that much needed bump of support. It's always good to know that you don't exist in a vaccum and there are safety nets hanging around in case you accidentally, or accidently on purpose, stumble.

No comments: