Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I think I've mentioned this before, but I work in what they call a pod situation. It's basically 4 cubes turned around into a little common-type area. The company is growing and they are talking about re-assigning some of the resources. With the exception of the first 2 1/2 weeks when I was partnered with my buddy Mark, I've worked with the same 3 people for 8 months. We have almost double the amount of clients and with some of the high volume, we have triple the amount of work some other teams have. (I know some of that sounds like exaggeration, but we actually had a count up meeting today to discuss evening the playing field). And, for the most part, we've managed to deliver almost every project without fail. And with the prospect of losing one or more of my team members tomorrow to be replaced with someone new, unfamiliar, and, in my opinion, inferior on a skill level, I can only refer to the words of Larry Gelbart used in the television script "Divided We Fall" in 1973...

"In my short stay here, I have seen textbook examples of neuroses, psychoses. I have seen voyeurism, fetishism, and a few 'isms' I've never even heard of. And let me tell you this, General: These impossible people are in an impossible place doing totally impossible work. They're mad. quite mad, all of them. And the only act I can think of that would be madder still would be breaking them up!" Capt. Hildebrand

No comments: