Thursday, February 14, 2008

Single-Handedly I Tell You

So, I was at half-price books recently. What, I'm allowed. Anyway, I had methodically gone through the sections and heard a couple of people comment on my "list" that I carry. One of them actually commented to me, which is nice. I usually just hear it second hand. "Look at that guy shuffling papers." Anyway, I'm checking out. The counters at half-price are structured in such a way that they have three sides of a square to check out customers. Frequently, they only use one side, but occasionally there are two open. So, across the counter from me are two women, probably late 30s, early 40s. They are thrilled with the novelty of buying books at a half-price. The second one has her total come up to around $25 and remarks to her friend that in a regular bookstore you would have to pay $25 for just this book and holds one up. Turns out, it's some selection from Oprah's book club. I didn't see which one and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter. So, the first woman asks if she's heard anything about the book itself. The second woman actually verbalizes...out loud...in public, the following sentence. "I have no idea, but if Oprah recommends it, then I'll read it." The girl that was ringing up my books almost snapped her neck, her head spun around so fast. (She was, in my opinion, in the end stages of a goth look...kind of grungy, nose-ring, colored hair, but realizing that she was getting a little older) I'm just appalled and beginning to seethe. The two women continue their purchase, take their bags and head for the door. As the door is closing, Terri walks up to me. I turn to her and say, "See, I told you. I actually heard one of those women say out loud, 'If Oprah recommends it, then I'll read it.' I told you that woman is single-handedly destroying literature." The counter girl almost chokes trying not to laugh out loud. Then she turns to me and says, "I'm sorry, can I get a high-five for that? I'm not allowed to say things like that here, but since you did I'm going to agree." So, I exchanged high-fives with the counter girl with Terri rolling her eyes that not only is someone in agreement, but they're willing to admit it. She figures that's all I need and know she's going to have to listen to my anti-Oprah rant for the next several hours. Luckily, I was appeased by the high-five and the eventual thought of relating the story here.
Oh, and because I let it linger a bit too long, the final tally on the books contained just in the loft/library (that doesn't count books housed in the bedrooms, living room, dining room, or kitchen) is 3,573. So, that would make Susie the closest.

2 comments:

Randy Warner said...

Susie?? I refined my guess to 3500 after the pictures were posted clearly making me the winner of this very important contest. Oh, and do you need a copy of Syriana on DVD? I have 2.

iSuze said...

Oh cool it Randy. Let me win SOMETHING! :)

Bill, I hate to admit this, but I'm with you on the Oprah thing. I've actually not read books because they have her seal of approval. If she ever starts recommending some of my favorites, she and I will have words. Well, I'll have words that she'll never hear. But she'll be lucky she won't because they won't be nice ones!