Monday, April 03, 2006

Now that April Fools has past, I can put this post up without anyone mistaking it for a joke. Not that anyone would, but rarely do I express serious interest in a serious cause. Sure, I'll be the first one to jump on the bandwagon to bar Jennifer Lopez from ever making a movie or album again, and although that's a fairly serious cause, this one kind of outranks it.
It's April and that means one thing. Well, actually it means many things...it's Terri's birthday month, both of my uncles have birthdays in April, buggy, Easter this year, the start of playoff hockey, but the one thing I'm referring to in this case is the MS Walk.
Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic disease of the central nervous system affecting the brain and spinal cord and usually strikes adults between the ages of 20 and 50. MS affects vision, balance, cognitive function, strength, and movement. Symptoms can include extreme fatigue, headaches, blurred vision, frequent falls, depression, and painful neuropathy. Though there are promising treatments on the horizon, there is no cure for MS.
As many of you already know, Terri and I started raising money and walking in the MS Walk in 1998 when I started working with Mark at Lycos. Mark's wife Robyn has MS. My cousin Kathy was also diagnosed with MS around the same time. Kathy passed away in December of 2003 and though MS wasn't the primary cause, the complications that it created certainly aided in her passing. Kathy was only 33 when she died. At the time, I mused that it's a cruel twist of fate that a parent, any parent, has to bury a child. With MS, that can be all too frequent.
So, in order to help Robyn (and countless others) and to remember and honor Kathy, Terri and I raise money, walk, and donate to the MS society.
Why am I telling you all this? To hit you up for money of course. It's a good cause, it's tax deductible (for those that are already planning ahead for next year), and it'll give you the warm and fuzzies. I know that a lot of charities pop up around the springtime and if my mail is any indication, your alma maters are also banging on the door. If you find yourself torn between the new Prince CD and giving money to your college to waste on 100 foot sculptures or some such nonsense...do yourself a favor. Give some money to a worthwhile cause and you may end up saving someone's life.
You can sponsor me online here.
Or, you can sponsor Terri here.
If you are squeamish about donating online, you can certainly reach me through all the usual methods.
Thanks in advance for your participation, generosity, and concern in this matter.

No comments: